Heritage

Church

The church was built by Cosma Sarpe in approximately 1506 and her remains are interred there along with those of Iancu and Ecaterina Stârcea. The church is a listed historic monument recently restored. At the east end of the Churchyard is a bell tower built by Ecaterina Stârcea housing a magnificent set of bells made in Bohemia and transported to V─âleni by ox cart. The bells are rung regularly; not just for church services but also to ward off damaging thunderstorms!